Reno Land Deed 1894
Reno Land Deed 1894
Sale of three lots in Marsh's Addition, Reno
- Sale by CA/NV artist A. E. Ross (1862-1947)
- Dated 22 November 1894
- Pencil inscription by Nevada pioneer Luigi Della Piazza
PRICE: 200 INQUIRE
About the document
A museum-worthy land deed recording the sale of three lots in the Marsh’s Addition section of Reno in 1894. Marsh’s Addition is roughly located around Marsh Avenue and South Arlington Avenue.
Seller A. E. Ross (Artemas E. Ross) was a cattle rancher and painter, known for his landscapes. He reportedly owned one of the most prosperous ranches in Nevada - the Long Valley Farm near Reno, which owned more than 1,000 head of cattle as of 1882. Ross is listed as a resident of Nevada from approximately 1887-1895, after which time he sold his Reno property and moved to Palo Alto, California. Ross is listed in Edan Hughes's book "Artists in California, 1786-1940.”
Buyers include James Rosasco and Charles Carsiglio of Reno, who purchased the land for $1000 in gold coin. A pencil inscription by Luigi Della Piazza notes that he sold one-half interest of lots 11 and 12 to Lena Manente for “love and affection.” Piazza presumably obtained the property after the 1894 transaction.
Piazza was one of Nevada's pioneers and an exceedingly prosperous mine-owner and businessman. He was born in 1840 in Italy, and by 1867 landed in New York. He was in Grass Valley, California, for a short period before coming to Nevada in 1869. He remained a resident of the state thereafter. Piazza was half owner of the Cabinet No. 2 mine, which he sold to the Nevada Mining Company while retaining a large block of the stock.
The deed is folded into eight sections with a moderate degree of soiling and minor tears. Full dimension are 28” x 8 1/4.” Housed in an archival sleeve.
Packaging and Shipping
Items shipped or delivered to a Nevada address will include applicable sales tax on the purchase invoice.